There are lots of events going on.
I will be at Archaeopalooza on October 15th- hopefully- probably. They have some famous archaeologists presenting:
The Society for California Archaeology is encouraging archaeologists across the state the get involved. They have lots of suggestions for what to do:
- Ask your City Council or County Board of Supervisors (or both) to recognize Ocotber of each year as California Archaeology Month as part of a statewide effort to encourage respect, appreciation and a better understanding of California’s diverse cultural heritage. Annmarie can provide a draft of a mini–speech for you to present, and a draft resolution that you can provide to the board. Present each council or board member with a poster. To avoid duplicate efforts in one county, please tell Annmarie if you plan to talk to your city or county administrators.
- CRM firms are encouraged to have an open house or create a display from recent work that can be placed in a public area.
- Arrange a talk at a public forum in your town; give a show–and–tell at a local school.
- Create a display for a local library, school, a mall, town hall or other public forum. Is the poster you created for the SCA poster session — this year or last — usable?
- Organize an essay contest (for example, “Why is knowledge about the past important to us now?”) or create a bookmark contestat local schools, focused on archaeology. Possible prizes: cash; a book about archaeology; tickets to a museum (ask a museum to donate them); something the school suggests (tickets to homecoming? Prom?). Consider allowing a winner to visit a site where you are working.
- Contact a local museum and volunteer to help with a display.
- Help your local library display archaeology or California Heritage books.
- Work with a local organization like Girl or Boy Scouts to do something like the above projects.
- Please put any on–going events (visiting Speaker’s, open–houses) on the SCA Archaeology Month Calendar. Contact Annemarie Cox (760) 291-0370 to put an event on the Archaeology Month Calendar.
- Get the event listed in the local newspaper calendar, and the public radio and TV calendars.
- Write an article for the local newspaper.
Have a Great Archaeology Month!
Final note- October is a great month for archaeology month, why? You can dress up as an archaeologist for Halloween!
Or dress your dog up…